Today Afghan security forces will raid a makeshift jail in a house in Kabul. There, they will arrest three Americans accused of torturing Afghans in a freelance counterrorism mission. They are Jonathan K. Idema, Brett Bennett and Edward Caraballo. They will be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison.
During a hearing, afghans witnesses will give statements. Ghulam Safi will claim that:
- he was held for 18 days;
- boiling hot water was showered on him; and
- his possessions were stolen.
Ahmad Ali will claim that:
- his head was repeatedly immersed in a basin of water;
- he was beaten on the feet and stomach; and
- he was fed only two pieces of bread in one week.
Maulawi Sidiq will claim that he was:
- refused access to a toilet for 24 hours; and
Idema will claim that "the American authorities absolutely condoned what we did, they absolutely supported what we did", and that he was in regular phone and e-mail contact with Pentagon officials "at the highest level." However, these claims should be treated with caution, as Idema is a well-known fraud and media whore