Thursday, August 12, 2004
Media: Minister of Interior proudly announces large numbers of individuals captured
Friday, August 06, 2004
Incident: Group of 4 Iraqi men arrested, beaten, tortured
One identified only as Ali claims that the following incidents occurred.
- He was beaten severely with wood, cable and hose-pipes while US Marines stood by and watched.
- He observed that one of the other prisoners had had his fingernails removed and his arms broken.
- He was forced to insult the Shia holy places.
- Children between 15 and 17 years old were also detained with him.
Monday, August 02, 2004
Memo: observations at GTMO
As requested, here is a brief summary of what I observed at GTMO.This document will form part of the documentation released by various US Government Departments in response to an FOIA court order.
On a couple of occasions, I entered interview rooms to find a detainee chained hand a foot in a fetal position to the floor, with no chair, food, or water. Most times they had urinated or defacated (sic) on themselves and had been left there for 18 24 hours or more. On one occasion, the air conditioning had been turned down so far and the temperature was so cold in the room, that the barefooted detainee was shaking with cold. When I asked the MP what was going on, I was told that interrogators from the day prior had ordered this treatment, and the detainee was not to be moved. On another occasion, the A/C had been turned off, making the temperature in the unventilated room probably well over 100 degrees. The detainee was almost unconscious on the floor, with a pile of hair next to him. He had apparently been literally pulling his own hair out throughout the night. On another occassion, not only was the temperature unbearably hot, but extremely loud rap music was being played in the room, and had been since the day before, with the detainee chained hand and foot in the fetal position on the tile floor.
Sunday, August 01, 2004
Incident: Shahid detained by police at al-Najaf, interrogated, beaten
Shahid claims that the following incidents occurred:
- He was beaten with cables
- He was suspended by his arms with his arms behind his back. This "Palestinian Hanging" resulted in the dislocation of one of his shoulders (c.f. the "Palestinian Hanging" of Abu Ghraib prisoner implicated in his death, entry on 17 February 2005).
- He observed police treading on prisoner's heads while they lay bound.