Media: 60 Minutes, The New Yorker, show Abu Ghraib abuse photos
The following convictions will result from the subsequent abuse investigations:
- Jeremy Sivits -- 1 year, discharged from service.
- Armin Cruz -- 8 months, reduction in rank to private.
- Ivan Frederick -- 8 years, forfeiture of pay, dishonourable discharge, reduction of rank to private.
- Megan Ambuhl -- reduction in rank to private, loss of one half month's pay.
- Charles Graner -- 10 years.
- Donald Rumsfeld will remain Secretary of Defence, claiming that his two offers to resign were refused by President Bush.
- Jay Bybee, author of the memo published 01 August 2002, will be nominated by Bush to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Michael Chertoff, who gagged Lindh's torture claims and may have assisted Bybee in writing the aforementioned memo, will be nominated by President Bush to the post of Secretary of Homeland Security.
- Alberto Gonzales, who persuaded the President not to reverse his decision regarding POW status for detainees, will be nominated by President Bush as Attorney General.